Happy Jon Lester Day! (Updates)
By all accounts, Jon Lester will make his decision today and we – and the rest of baseball – will be able to get on with our lives. We’ll drop all of the updates, rumors and whatnot in this post.
Let’s start with an overnight story from Ken Rosenthal:
Lester’s offers all are in the six-year, $150 million range, sources said. One team — it is known which one — indicated it would go to the seven-year, $175 million range. But Lester would not necessarily choose that team even at that level, one source said.
Barring a late change, Lester will choose between the Cubs and Giants, sources told Fox Sports on Monday. But no team had been eliminated as of late Monday night. The delay in Lester’s decision is partly attributable to several ownerships needing to sign off on their final bids, and it is not out of the question that the process could stretch into Wednesday, sources said.
In this Buster Olney post, the Red Sox don’t sound confident:
“We need to build a rotation and we need to be in on all sorts of stuff and we have been in on all sorts of stuff,” (GM Ben) Cherington said late Monday. “There are probably 15 to 20 starting pitching scenarios we’ve talked about and worked on. Not all of those are going to land; more won’t than will. But we’re working as hard as we can. We’re going to build a good rotation.”
Update (7:40 a.m.): Olney says the decision may not come today after all:
The Jon Lester talks have entered the final turn with multiple offers of at least $150 million over six years, but his ultimate choice has been slowed because of having to deal with negotiations with those teams, according to sources.
Sources said that because of the negotiations, Lester could wait until Wednesday to make his final decision.
Update (10:40 a.m.): Jon Heyman (no relation) provides an update in which he admits he doesn’t have a clue what will happen, but hints at the strength of the Giants:
There is no definitive word about where the four bona fide contenders for his services — the Giants, Cubs, Red Sox and Dodgers — stack up. But the Giants, who were believed to have a geographic disadvantage, seem to figure somewhat more prominently than some would have imagined when the process started.
Update (4:10 p.m.): The Giants assistant GM is pooh-poohing his team’s chances:
Bobby Evans strongly hinting #cubs and #redsox might be closer to signing Lester than #sfgiants
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) December 9, 2014
Update (6:00 p.m.): Only says this may wrap up. Maybe:
Source: Lester is nearing finish line. He soon will have final options to choose from; reasonable belief is that this will conclude tonight.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 9, 2014
More to come.